1. Skip to Menu
  2. Skip to Content
  3. Skip to Footer

Membership – nomination & election

 

About

The EMBO Membership consists of ordinary members, who reside or were elected while residing in an EMBC Member State, and associate members, who reside outside of the EMBC Member States.

 

Nominations for the election of new ordinary and associate EMBO Members will open early October. Nominations must reach the EMBO office by 1 December via the online nomination site.

 

The online voting system is open from 15 December until 1 February. The new EMBO Members will be announced shortly after the EMBO Council meeting in spring.

Nomination Ordinary

Ordinary and associate members may propose or support the nomination of a maximum of two candidates for ordinary membership.

 

The proposer must complete the online nomination form for the proposed candidate naming four additional members who will support the nomination. The supporting members must confirm their support by sending an email to the This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .

 

At least three of the five members nominating or supporting a candidate must reside in a country other than that of the nominee.

 

Election Ordinary

EMBO Council determines annually the number of ordinary members to be elected in a given year. This is normally one-third of the number of nominations received, but not more than 50. The top 60% are elected directly by the EMBO Membership. The remaining 40% are selected by EMBO Council following a thorough review by the Membership Committee.

 

Ordinary members may vote for as many candidates as are to be elected directly, which is typically around 30. Associate members do not have the right to vote.

 

Those candidates who were not elected directly are categorized into five sections and evaluated by the respective experts in the Membership Committee. The primary criterion for selection by the committee is scientific excellence. The committee also takes into account geographic factors, small or emerging research fields, gender and special contributions to the scientific community. The Membership Committee submits a list of candidates recommended for selection as new EMBO Members to EMBO Council.

 

EMBO Council is guided by the votes of the membership and the recommendations of the EMBO Membership Committee, when selecting new EMBO Members who were not directly elected.

 

Non-elected candidates who received more than 90% of the votes of the last directly elected candidate will be carried over to next year's election. Their proposers will be informed accordingly. Candidates who were carried over do not count towards the maximum number of candidates to be nominated/supported by the proposer/supporters in the next election.

 

Candidates may also be re-nominated, in which case the proposer will have to submit the nomination form again.

 

Nomination Associate

EMBO Council determines annually the number of associate members to be elected in a given year. This is typically between 10% and 15% of the number of nominations for ordinary membership. Associate members are eminent scientists who normally reside in countries other then the EMBC Member States and who have made outstanding contributions to the life sciences. Special consideration is given to scientists who are in a strategic position to help promote the goals of EMBO outside the EMBC Member States.

 

Ordinary and associate EMBO Members may propose or support one candidate for associate membership.

 

The proposer must complete an online nomination form for the proposed candidate naming four additional ordinary or associate Members who will support the nomination. The supporting EMBO Members must confirm their support by sending an email to the This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .

 

At least three of the five members nominating or supporting a candidate must reside in a country other than that of the nominee.

 

Proposers and sponsors are asked not to inform candidates about their being proposed for EMBO Associate Membership.

 

Election Associate

Ordinary members may vote for as many candidates for associate membership as they wish. Associate members do not have the right to vote.

 

After the membership election, the Membership Committee reviews the list of candidates for associate membership and compiles a shortlist.

 

EMBO Council selects candidates as associate members guided by the votes of the membership and the recommendations of the EMBO Membership Committee.

 

Candidates for associate membership can be carried over for election in the following year upon recommendation by EMBO Council.

Deadlines

Nominations: 1 December

Elections: 1 February

Contact

Laura Alvarez  Laura Alvarez
  Administrator
  T. + 49 6221 8891 121
  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.