EMBO | FEBS Lecture Courses
EMBO and the Federation of European Biochemical Societies (FEBS) will annually support up to five EMBO | FEBS Lecture Courses on relevant, timely scientific topics in biochemistry, molecular biology and related areas such as systems biology.
The joint lecture courses intend to provide students and postdoctoral fellows with opportunities for career development by meeting with and learning from experts in their fields.
Courses can be organized in any of the EMBC Member States or any country of a FEBS constituent society.
Annual application deadline: 1 March for lecture courses planned for the following year.
The application process is handled according to the FEBS application procedure. However, applications need to be approved by both parties.
Organizers are strongly urged to ensure the course dates do not overlap with The EMBO Meeting.
All applications are treated in confidence and only publicized following acceptance of the funding conditions by the organizer.
Joint EMBO | FEBS Lecture Courses intend to provide up to 120 students and postdoctoral fellows with opportunities for career development through meeting experts in their fields.
Because the focus is on training, lecturers should deliver introductory lectures followed by state-of-the-art scientific talks.
Lecturers are expected to interact with students in poster sessions, oral presentations and round-table discussions, as well as tutorials.
The course should be facilitated by 18 – 24 lecturers and the ratio of speakers to participants should be around 1:5.
Further advice is available on the advice for organizers page.
The maximum funding available for an EMBO | FEBS Lecture Courses is €30,000. The grant available from EMBO and FEBS will normally be used to meet the expenses of the invited speakers and selected young scientists. Experience shows that it is often possible for speakers to obtain some of their travel costs from other sources, if the sponsor offers partial support. Funds cannot be used to cover per diem expenses.
Funds can be used to cover:
- economy travel, accommodation and subsistence costs of the speakers;
- reasonable administration costs;
- room hire, audiovisual and IT facilities essential for the conference.
Payment of the grant is handled through FEBS.
Joint courses are eligible to apply for additional EMBO funds to support one Keynote Lecture by an EMBO Member, one EMBO Young Investigator Lecture, one Science Policy Lecture, as well as one Women in Science Lecture. Finally, joint courses are eligible to receive Youth Travel Fellowships (YTF), covering attendance of up to 30 students/postdoctoral students, based on FEBS YTF guidelines.
All reporting forms are handled through the FEBS office and can be downloaded from the FEBS website.
The award of a EMBO | FEBS grant is contingent on the following commitments by the organizer(s)
- A comprehensive course report has to be provided after the joint lecture course. The report must include (i) a scientific report, (ii) statistical data, (iii) a questionnaire evaluation summary and (iv) a financial report. All reporting must use standardized forms found in the Application/Reporting Package available on the FEBS website.
- Electronic copies of all report forms (Scientific Report, Statistics Form, Evaluation Summary of Questionnaires, Financial Report) must be uploaded through the FEBS online system using the Log-In and Account Information obtained during application submission.
- An original financial report, duly signed by the principal applicant, documenting all major items of expenditure, as well as all income (i.e. any other sponsor support) has to be sent by surface mail to the FEBS ACC Office in Hungary no later than 3 months after the course. The standard Financial Report Form must be used for finance reporting – no other financial reports will be accepted. Furthermore, all original Questionnaires returned by participants must also be mailed to the ACC Office in Hungary. At least 75% of the original Questionnaires need to be filled out by participants and returned to organizers.
Advertising & co-funding
The joint lecture course must be entitled "EMBO | FEBS Lecture Course". All materials must include the EMBO logo and the FEBS logo prominently. The website and poster must also include the FEBS | EMBO Lecture Course stamp.
After approval, Joint EMBO | FEBS Lecture Courses will be advertised through the annual EMBO & FEBS Courses & Workshops posters and announced in the FEBS Journal, FEBS Letters, the EMBO e-newsletter, and through the EMBO and FEBS websites, EMBO social media channels and through selected other print and online media.
All organizers are also encouraged to advertise their courses by other means.
Poster and website assistance
EMBO will create a website (including online registration), design a poster and abstract book cover at no additional charge. Full details will be supplied to organizers shortly after funding has been confirmed.
1 March for lecture courses planned for the following year.
T. + 49 6221 8891 104
T. + 49 6221 8891 562
T. + 49 6221 8891 105
T. + 49 6221 8891 409
Aditya Kusuma Jati
Web & Graphic Designer
T. + 49 6221 8891 131