Conferences & Conference Series
EMBO Conferences and EMBO Conference Series support European scientific communities by providing an opportunity for scientists to meet and discuss topics with leaders in the field.
Organizers can apply for a one-off conference or a conference that they expect to be part of a series of conferences, held at two or three yearly intervals in. EMBO Conferences and EMBO Conference Series are expected to be stand-alone and not satellite meetings. Priority is given to EMBO Conferences and EMBO Conference Series taking place in EMBC Member States and in cooperating partner countries, although organizers can be based anywhere. These conferences should cover different and evolving aspects of a relatively broad subject area of major importance to the scientific community worldwide. They may alternate with corresponding meetings held outside of Europe, facilitating interactions between scientists based in Europe and beyond. EMBO Conferences will normally have at least 150 participants.
Annual application deadlines: 1 March and 1 August for conferences planned for the following year.
The application process is handled via the online application system.
Both the 1 March and 1 August application deadlines are for funding of conferences taking place in the following year. However, organizers are encouraged to apply at least twelve months before the conference takes place, to ensure enough time for the proper advertising and promotion of the conference, in the case of acceptance.
Priority is given to EMBO Conferences taking place in EMBC Member States or cooperating partner countries, although organizers can be based anywhere. EMBO aims to support a diverse range of conference series topics, thus overlapping topics are discouraged.
A new application is required for each individual conference within the series and will be evaluated competitively. Follow-on applications are generally successful in obtaining funding, provided reviews of the previous conference are positive and significant efforts are made to improve areas that were considered suboptimal.
For all conferences in the series, organizers are strongly urged to:
- provide a convincing scientific justification that the conference serves an active and evolving community;
- rotate the organizing committee;
- ensure diversity and gender balance in the list of speakers;
- ensure that no more than 50 % of the speakers have spoken at the previous conference in the series;
- include talks by both early stage and established investigators/group leaders.
Each application is reviewed by at least two members of the EMBO Course Committee. The final decision is made by the entire committee. Applicants are informed of the decision within ten weeks of the application deadline.
All applications are treated in confidence and only publicized following acceptance of the funding conditions by the organizer.
Organizers should indicate an outline timetable, session titles with brief explanations of the subjects covered and how they fit together, confirmed speakers for each session and the reason for their selection.
The EMBO Course Committee considers very seriously the efforts made to optimize the benefits for early stage researchers. These include:
- ensuring that at least 50 % of the speakers are different to those who spoke at the previous EMBO Conference (if applicable);
- ensuring that the number of talks is not excessive, so that there will be time for participants to discuss informally;
- inclusion of presentation slots for early-stage researchers;
- including poster sessions and ensuring that poster sessions are not solely relegated to late night slots;
- making other conscious attempts to promote interactions amongst attendees.
- may be charged up to a maximum of €450 per academic participant (excluding accommodation);
- may be charged up to €600 for industry participants (excluding accommodation);
- should be paid directly to the organizer and included as income in the final financial statement;
- must be waived for one EMBO editor wishing to attend the conference;
- may be waived for editorial staff from other scientific journals who attend the EMBO Conference and publish a report in their journal.
Speakers & Participants
When selecting speakers and participants, organizers are requested to ensure a wide geographical representation. At least two-thirds of the participants should be based in EMBC Member States with no more than 15 % of participants residing in the country where the workshop is being held. In the case of conferences held in cooperating partner countries a greater representation of scientists based in the respective continent is encouraged.
Organizers are strongly encouraged to aim for a minimum of 30 % female representation when selecting speakers (if there is a lower proportion justification must be provided). Applications with an excessive gender imbalance are generally not successful.
Both established and early stage group leaders/investigators should be included in the speaker list and clearly indicated in the application form.
Further advice is available on the advice for organizers page.
The maximum funding available for an EMBO Conference is 30,000 euro. The maximum amount of funding available for EMBO Conferences in non-EMBC/ non-cooperation countries is 20,000 euro. Decisions on the amount of funding are made on a case-by-case basis. Organizers are therefore required to justify all major costs in the budget section of the application form. It is expected that participants (other than the speakers) will pay for their travel, accommodation, subsistence and registration fee. EMBO funds must not be used to cover per diem expenses, poster prizes or other gifts.
EMBO funds can be used to cover:
- travel (Apex / Economy), accommodation and subsistence costs of the speakers;
- reasonable administration costs (a max. 4000 euro) ;
- room hire, audiovisual and IT facilities essential for the conference;
- grants to aid participants from countries in need of scientific strengthening.
Payment of the grant
50 % of the total funding will be transferred to organizers approximately four months prior to the start of the conference. EMBO must be notified of any significant changes to the conference budget and/or scientific programme after it is initially approved.
Once the final documentation has been approved EMBO the remaining funds will be transferred. The final documentation has to be submitted to EMBO within six months following the end date of the conference. Failure to do so will result in the final payment being forfeited.
- Short report (1-2 pages) about the conference, including a short scientific overview, participants' reaction to the location and organization, and any other relevant comments.
- Final financial statement, which should include all income and expenditure for the conference. (Please note that the organizer must retain receipts for five years after the conference, for possible auditing).
- Statistics - total number of applicants, and the number, gender, nationality and country of residence of academia & industry participants, and of instructors and speakers.
- Programme and/or abstract book (printed or electronic).
- Participants' questionnaires: participants submit their feedback using the online EMBO questionnaire. Results will subsequently be shared anonymously with organizers.
Advertising & co-funding
The conference must be entitled "EMBO Conference" or "EMBO Conference Series". All materials must include the EMBO logo prominently. The website and poster must also include the EMBO Conference stamp. Co-sponsors can be acknowledged (e.g. “EMBO Conference on XYZ, with co-sponsorship from ABC”) on the conference website, but cannot be mentioned in the title of the event on the EMBO Calendar of Events.
EMBO does not consider co-funding conferences when the other funder insists on the proceedings being published (although publications can arise from EMBO Conferences, provided that all contributions are solicited voluntarily).
All EMBO Conferences and EMBO Conference Series are advertised on the EMBO poster, EMBO website and social media channels and through selected other print and online media.
Additional advertising is left at the organizer's discretion. It is a strict condition of EMBO support that any additional publicity, as well as the programme and abstract book, should clearly indicate that the meeting is an EMBO Conference or EMBO Conference Series, without subtitles relating to previous similar meetings.
Poster and website assistance
EMBO offers to create a website (including online registration) and design a poster, at no additional charge. Full details will be supplied to organizers shortly after funding has been confirmed.
1 March and 1 August for conferences planned for the following year.
T. + 49 6221 8891 104
T. + 49 6221 8891 409
T. + 49 6221 8891 105
Aditya Kusuma Jati
Web & Graphic Design Assistant
T. + 49 6221 8891 131